Phone: 360-790-7445
Jan 31, 2020


LEOSA 18USC926(c)*               FOP LEOSA Legislative information

Questions related to qualification and eligibility should be directed to the Washington State LEOSA Program Chair  Dan Phillips


Q:  I am an out of state officer residing in Washington may still qualify?

A:  Yes, but you must possess a Washington driver’s license or State ID.

Q:  I have served over 10 years with my agency and was medically retired, but was not issued photographic credentials, how do I qualify.

A  While most agencies do issue retired officers and some qualified officers credentials, Under law there is no requirement for agencies to do so, and it is up to the discretion of the head of the issuing agency.   Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission has a template letter for your former agency that is acceptable for qualification proving your agency.  

Q:  I am a retire Military Police Officer but did not receive credentials other than my Retired Armed Forces ID can I qualify?   

A:  You pay present your DD214 and any certificate showing you meet the qualifications as proof of qualification this and your retired military ID are sufficient to qualify.  However, this may present issues even with a qualification card when traveling outside of Washington.  It is Strongly suggested you apply for a retired LEOSA ID through the Defense Consulting Service or your last command.

Q:  I left my last agency voluntarily after 10 years in lieu of termination, am I still eligible?.   

A:  No,  All applicants are vetted against the Washington Criminal Justice training Commissions Decertified List and the National Decertification Index.

Q:  I am the subject of a restraining order, am I allowed to qualify?

A:  No, If your right to own or possess a firearm has been suspended or revoked by due process of law.

Q:  Does the LEOSA Qualification card allow me to carry at any time anywhere?

A:  No. When carrying in a particular state you are subject to their LEOSA and concealed carry laws. LEOSA does not exempt individuals from federal laws or regulations that restrict the carrying of firearms onto aircraft or other common carriers, or on the premises of federal buildings, property, or national parks. As well, LEOSA does not exempt an individual from state laws that allow persons to prohibit firearms on private or public property. We recommend that you consult an attorney if you have questions concerning the interpretation of these restrictions.

Q:  Am I required to have some sort of liability insurance to carry my firearm?

A:  While not required it is strongly recommended you obtain LEOSA insurance available from some providers. 

Q:  What do I need to travel or fly with my firearm?

A:  You must carry both your agency issued credentials and your annual firearm qualification card.  Your firearm must be unloaded with the magazine removed and the firearm and ammunition locked in a container inside your luggage preferred,  Check with your local airline regulations.  Insure you check the conceal carry laws in the state in which you are traveling.

Q:  Does a LEOSA firearms Qualification card serve the same purpose as a Concealed Weapon permit for the purchase of Firearms and allow me to skip the waiting period.

A:  No,  Firearms purchase are regulated by the state and federal government.

Q:  Am I required to qualify with and carry only a specific firearm, e.g. make/model serial number?

A:  No, You may qualify with both a revolver and semi-automatic pistol and may carry any type, any caliber of either you qualify with.   All qualifiers must use factory loaded ammunition only.

Contact Info
Washington State Fraternal Order of Police
PO Box 1702
Tacoma, WA 98401

Top of Page image
Powered By UnionActive - Copyright © 2020. All Rights Reserved.