THE 2020 SCHOLARSHIP CYCLE IS NOW OPEN. APPLICANTS MUST APPLY THROUGH THE ATTACHED LINK.
Scholarship Application Link
WAFOP Scholarship Program:
There is hereby created a Washington Fraternal Order of Police (WAFOP) scholarship program to provide scholarship money for the qualified individuals.
Up to (10) ten scholarships, each scholarship not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1000.00), may be awarded to qualified individuals.
The scholarship may be used at the accredited college, vocational/technical school, or university of the student's choice.
Upon proof of enrollment, the scholarship award will be sent directly to the facility where the recipient plans to attend school.
There is no requirement to award any scholarship in any given year.
An application for scholarship must be submitted by the individual seeking the scholarship. Eligibility will be based on the individual, and not on race, creed, sex or national origin. In order to qualify the following must apply:
- The applicant is the child, spouse, or member of the WAFOP in good standing.
- The applicant must have a 2.5 GPA of last completed high school year or last semester if currently enrolled in higher education.
- Preferences will be given to children or step-children of WAFOP members between 17 and 21 years of age.
- The applicant must be successfully graduated from high school or has proof of a General Education Degree (GED) certificate.
- Applicant must attach a copy of their transcripts of grades for freshman year of High School through their last completed semester. If enrolled in higher education applicant must submit transcripts from the last completed year.
- Applicant must be sponsored by a member of WAFOP in good standing and that member must submit a letter of recommendation.
- Also, a letter of recommendation must accompany application from someone other than the sponsor.
- Incomplete or late application will NOT be accepted. Applications submitted outside of the eligible dates will not be considered.
Completed applications will be received no earlier than April 1st, and no later than June 1st (or the next buiness day if June 1st falls on a weekend or a holiday) to be eligible for the next scholarship award.
A WAFOP scholarship recipient may re-apply for additional funding in following year(s), although preferences will be given to first time WAFOP children or step children applicants.
If a recipient is unable to fulfill the scholarship requirements for any reason, the Scholarship Committee shall terminate all funding for the recipient. The remaining funds, if any, will be presented to the first runner up.
Applicants will be evaluated based on a number of factors chosen to identify well-rounded individuals with potential and financial need. Although academic excellence will not be the overriding criteria, academic competence must be indicated in order to make use of the opportunity presented by this award. In addition to academic competence, other criteria used to ranking applicants will be:
- WAFOP child between 17-21 years of age
- Overall GPA
- Total household (including parents) income
- First time applicants
Applications are due no later than June 1, 2020.